Quick links

Building Permits (Community Development)

Community Development provides the following services:
  • Issues building permits
  • issues applicable trade permits (plumbing, electrical, mechanical, irrigation)
  • Provides permit payment services
  • Registers licensed contractors ( electrical, mechanical, plumbing, and irrigation) to perform work. Fill out the Contract Registration Form and submit with your state license and liability insurance.
When is a Permit Required?
A building permit is required to erect, construct, enlarge, alter, repair, improve, remove, convert, move or demolish any building or structure within in the City's zoning jurisdiction. 

All building plans must be reviewed and approved by Residential or Commercial Building Plan Review before a building permit is issued. A trade permit (electrical, mechanical, plumbing, irrigation) may also be required depending on the scope of work. To learn whether your project requires a permit see lists of projects here and for additional questions call us at 210-684-1391.

What happens after the permitted work has been completed?
An inspection is required for all types of work that has been permitted. A contractor/homeowner is responsible for scheduling a final inspection once work is complete. Inspections must be called in by 12:00 noon the workday prior to the requested inspection day.

Commercial Projects: Upon Final Inspection, a Certificate of Occupancy (CofO) will be issued authorizing occupancy of the structure.

Do Permits Expire?
Permits remain active for 6 months, after the 6th month the permit will expire and will no longer be valid. If additional time is needed to complete the project after the expiration date, call our office 210-684-1391 for an extension. An expired permit must be resolved before a new building permit can be issued. To check whether an expired permit exists on your property, call 210-684-1391.

Can the homeowner perform the work?
A homeowner can pull a permit for just about any situation.  Even if not licensed, homeowners may pull electrical, plumbing, and HVAC permits (MEPs).  However, MEP permits must be for work on applicant’s homestead, this does not apply to a rental property. Also, homeowner must do the work themselves and may not pull a permit and hire a contractor to complete the work. A plumbing permit can only be pulled for work inside the house. All work must be inspected just like any other project/permit.

The permit holder, in this case the homeowner, is responsible for calling inspections and ultimately responsible for all work performed under the permit.

What type of work is Exempt from Building Permits?
Click here to view work exempt from Building Permits. Please note that all work must still comply with applicable Building Codes, City Codes and applicable ordinances.

Permits and Applicaitons:
 Board of Adjustment Application 
 Building Permit Application  Platting Application
 Building Permit (ELECTRICAL) Application  Plumbing Permit Application
 Bulk Water Application  Portable Storage Unit Permit Application
 Certificate of Occupancy Application  Renter’s Registration Packet and App.
 Certified Duplicate-Certificate of Occupancy  Roof Permit Application
 Contractor Registration Application  Sewer & Trench Permit Application
 Curb Cut/Driveway Approach /Sidewalk App.  Sign Permit Application
 Fence Permit Application  Sign Permit Application (For Special Events)
 Fence Variance Application  Sign Permit Application (Temporary)
 Floodplain Development Permit Application  Site Plan Review Application
 Food License Application  Specific Use Permit Application (SUP)
 Food License Application (Temporary)  Traffic Impact Analysis Application
 Gas Permit Application  Tree Removal and Replacement Permit App.
 Landscaping Application  Tree Removal and Replacement Registration App.
 Manufactured Home Placement Application  Utility Company Review Form
 Master Sign Permit Application  Utility Permit Application
 Mechanical/HVAC Permit Application  WaterWell Permit Application
  Zoning Change Application