History of Leon Valley
The City of Leon Valley was incorporated on March 31, 1952, when the local residents became aware that the City of San Antonio was preparing to annex the area.
The City of Leon Valley is a Home Rule City operating under a Council-Manager form of government with a Mayor and five City Council Members elected at-large. The Mayor and City Council Members hold two year terms of office and are elected and serve on an at-large basis.
The City is a full service city with public safety departments including the Fire Department, Emergency Management Services, and Police Department. Operational departments include: Administration, Community and Economic Development, Finance, Leon Valley Public Library, Municipal Court, and Public Works departments.
The City, home to 11,000 plus residents, is located in the northwest quadrant of Bexar County, 10 miles from downtown San Antonio. The heart of Leon Valley lies along State Highway 16, also known as Bandera Road, and is made up of approximately 3.5 square miles.
Residents as well as visitors find Leon Valley to be the gateway to San Antonio’s leading attractions, Sea World and Six Flags Fiesta Texas, an equidistant nine miles between attractions. Bandera Road and Loop 410 are the primary arteries to these attractions and the employment base in the northwest sector. The City of Leon Valley is three miles from the Medical District, and eight miles to the San Antonio International Airport.
The City has a Comprehensive Master Plan, Zoning Code, and Capital Improvements Plan. Voters approved an additional sales and use tax in 2008 of one-eighth (1/8) of one percent to promote economic development projects under a section 4B corporation, The City of Leon Valley Economic Development Corporation. Voters reauthorized one-quarter (1/4) of one percent sales and use tax in 2011 for the maintenance of streets and sidewalks.
Articles of Incorporation