Community Development

Permits and Applications

Planning and Zoning Department provides the following services:

  • Issues building permits
  • Issues applicable trade permits (plumbing, electrical, mechanical, irrigation)
  • Registers licensed contractors ( electrical, mechanical, plumbing, and irrigation) to perform work. Fill out the Contract Registration Form and submit with your state license and liability insurance.

Forms of Payment
Payments must be made in person or by mail only, we do NOT accept payments over the phone. Our cashiers accept the following forms of payment: VISA, Master Card, cash, check or money order-payable to the City of Leon Valley. Business credit cards are acceptable, a personal identification is required.

When is a Permit Required?
A building permit is required to erect, construct, enlarge, alter, repair, improve, remove, convert, move or demolish any building or structure within in the City's zoning jurisdiction. 

All building plans must be reviewed and approved by Residential or Commercial Building Plan Review before a building permit is issued. A trade permit (electrical, mechanical, plumbing, irrigation) may also be required depending on the scope of work. To learn whether your project requires a permit click here. For any additional questions please call us at 210-684-1391.

The Review Process: What happens next?
After your application is submitted, we will review your plans. Depending on the nature of the project, the review could involve several departments. Our Building Official will determine compliance with building, plumbing, mechanical, electrical, and energy conservation regulations. The Fire Department will check for compliance with fire safety requirements. The Public Works Department will check for compliance with flood control, drainage, parking and driveway standards and public improvement requirements. The Planning & Zoning Department will verify compliance with zoning regulations including authorized uses within zoning districts, required parking, and property development standards such as lot coverage, building height, setback, and density requirements.

Corrections, Clarifications, and Changes
The Planning & Zoning Department will notify you when the initial plan review for your project is completed. If the plans cannot be approved as submitted, we will provide you with lists of necessary corrections from all departments that reviewed your plans. Minor corrections can be made on the original plans submitted. However, if major changes are necessary, or if there are numerous corrections, you will be required to correct the base drawings and resubmit copies of the revised plans. Submitting thorough and complete plans initially will help avoid numerous revisions. When revised plans are submitted, they will be distributed to the departments that generated the initial corrections for subsequent review. Plans submitted for recheck will generally require less processing time than required for the initial check.

What happens after the permitted work has been completed?
An inspection is required for all types of work that has been permitted. A contractor/homeowner is responsible for scheduling a final inspection once work is complete. Inspections must be called in by 3:00 pm the workday prior to the requested inspection day. Please note our inspection window is from 10:00 am-2:00 pm Monday-Friday for all scheduled inspections. Cancellations must be called in no later than 8:00 am the day of the scheduled inspection.

Commercial Projects: Upon Final Inspection, a Certificate of Occupancy (CofO) will be issued authorizing occupancy of the structure.

Do Permits Expire?
Permits remain active for 6 months, after the 6th month the permit will expire and will no longer be valid. If additional time is needed to complete the project after the expiration date, call our office 210-684-1391 for an extension. An expired permit must be resolved before a new building permit can be issued. To check whether an expired permit exists on your property, call 210-684-1391.

Can the homeowner perform the work?
A homeowner can pull a permit for just about any situation.  Even if not licensed, homeowners may pull electrical, plumbing, and HVAC permits (MEPs).  However, MEP permits must be for work on applicant’s homestead, this does not apply to a rental property. Also, homeowner must do the work themselves and may not pull a permit and hire a contractor to complete the work. A plumbing permit can only be pulled for work inside the house. All work must be inspected just like any other project/permit.

The permit holder, in this case the homeowner, is responsible for calling inspections and ultimately responsible for all work performed under the permit.

What type of work is Exempt from Building Permits?
Click here to view work exempt from Building Permits. Please note that all work must still comply with applicable Building Codes, City Codes and applicable ordinances. Click here to view the Leon Valley City Code. 

Fee Schedule (click here)
Driveway and Sidewalk Standards (click here)
Commercial Driveway Standards (click here)

Permits and Applications:
 Backflow Prevention Form  Platting Application
 Board of Adjustment Application 
 Building Permit Application  Portable Storage Unit Permit Application
 Building Permit (ELECTRICAL) Application Renter’s Registration Packet and App.
 Bulk Water Application  Residential Rain Barrel Rebate Application
 Certificate of Occupancy Application  Residential Rain Barrel Guidelines
 Credit Access Business Registration App.
 Roof Permit Application
 Contractor Registration Application  Sewer & Trench Permit Application
 Curb Cut/Driveway Approach /Sidewalk App.  Sign Permit Application
 Fence Permit Application  Sign Permit Application (For Special Events)
 Fence Variance Application  Sign Permit Application (Temporary)
 Floodplain Development Permit Application  Site Plan Review Application
 Food License Application  Specific Use Permit Application (SUP)
 Food License Application (Temporary)  Traffic Impact Analysis Application
 Gas Permit Application  Tree Removal and Replacement Permit App.
 In-Kind Grant Application  Tree Removal and Replacement Registration App.
 Landscaping Application  Utility Company Review Form
 Liquor License Permit Application  Utility Permit Application
 Manufactured Home Placement Application  WaterWell Permit Application
 Master Sign Permit Application  Xeriscape Application 
 Mechanical/HVAC Permit Application  Xeriscape Sketch Example
 Non-Specified Use Application   Zoning Change Application