Hike & Bike LC -17 Project

Status Report

Hike & Bike Trail Status Report

In March of 2013, the City proposed a Hike & Bike Trail system at the Metropolitan Planning Organization’s (MPO) call for projects, that would meet the criteria for Category 7 Surface Transportation-Metropolitan Mobility (STP-MM) funding. The project was recommended for funding by the Transportation Policy Board and the funding is being provided by the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) through the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT). The City will pay 20% of the estimated $1.2 million total cost for the project, with the other 80% being a reimbursement to the City during project construction.  

The proposed trail will begin at Evers Road in Raymond Rimkus Park and end at the Bandera Rd bridge eventually connecting to the Leon Creek Greenway Trail System.

Requests for Proposals and Qualifications (RFP&Q’s) for the engineering and design of the Hike & Bike Trail were sent out and engineering firms were interviewed. In October 2013, the City Council selected IDS Engineering Group, with Vice-President Mr. Jess Swaim, P.E., as the Project Manager.

The anticipated completion of the trail will be in August of 2015.